My Crockpot Italian Sausage

So Wed night I need to have an easy Italian Sausage sandwich, that doesn't require a stove... My first thought was a crock pot with some peppers and a little broth, but of course I don't have peppers in my house :( So I went online to look up recipes and most of them required peppers and some even had onions (which sadly I do not cook with hehe)... Then I found one that uses spaghetti sauce and tomato paste and tomato sauce, but I used the last of my spaghetti sauce 2 nights ago- shoot! So I went into my kitchen and came up with this concoction:

8 Italian Sausages (I plan for left-overs for lunch the next day)
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
1 can diced tomatoes
approx (I didn't measure this at all) 3-4 cups Chicken broth (would have used beef if my chicken broth didn't need used up right away)

1. simmer sausages in some water (not enough to cover, but enough that it could boil- in fact I accidentally boiled mine for a minute) for about 7 mins (long enough for me to fiddle with figuring out what I wanted to put in the crockpot and put it in)
2. mix together in crock pot the rest of the ingredients
3. add in sausages and make sure they are coated
4. cook on low 4-6 hours, my crock pot seems to cook hotter than most so I will cook mine on low for about 4 hours
5. Serve on Hot dog or Hoagie buns

I'm thinking (and thought while I was adding it) that I added too much broth... so you really can't use the mixture as a "sauce" on your sandwiches, so maybe a little less broth would be better... I didn't take pictures, but the family seemed to like it! Will definitely try again :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome, but subject to my approval...